I can completely agree with your posting. I also think that rehabilitation is a form of babysitting and to please the community that the lawmakers have place standards in place that if you break the rules are do this type of crime this will be your punishment. A good portion of the time the punishment does not fit the crime. The rules seem to protect the criminal more than satisfy the victim or there families in some cases. No judicial system is perfect and ours in the United States is the best there is but it still can stand to be modified.
In order for a criminal to be rehabilitated first they have to be willing. For some criminals the only way for them to survive is to be in prison. Three hot square meals a day and a place to sleep. If the judicial system took a stand and it were to take away some of the privileges that are given to criminals in jail it would inspire them to want to improve their lives and become model citizens.
I believe that in some cases the punishment handed down can seem unjust and a form of baby-sitting. This is especially true in the subject of mandatory minimums. Certain states have mandatory sentences that judges have to hand down for certain offenses. The offender whether violent or not and regardless of what number of offense must go to jail for that mandatory minimum of time. I believe this is unfair and unjust because once that offender goes to jail they are stuck their regardless of good behavior. I don't see the sense of having an non violent offender having to serve a minimum sentence and waste tax dollars when they could be out in the world bettering themselves.
Mary: You have raised very strong points in your blog. You have strong negative feelings about the criminal justice system. I look forward to viewing your future blogs. Professor Taylor
Mary,
ReplyDeleteI can completely agree with your posting. I also think that rehabilitation is a form of babysitting and to please the community that the lawmakers have place standards in place that if you break the rules are do this type of crime this will be your punishment. A good portion of the time the punishment does not fit the crime. The rules seem to protect the criminal more than satisfy the victim or there families in some cases. No judicial system is perfect and ours in the United States is the best there is but it still can stand to be modified.
In order for a criminal to be rehabilitated first they have to be willing. For some criminals the only way for them to survive is to be in prison. Three hot square meals a day and a place to sleep. If the judicial system took a stand and it were to take away some of the privileges that are given to criminals in jail it would inspire them to want to improve their lives and become model citizens.
ReplyDeleteI believe that in some cases the punishment handed down can seem unjust and a form of baby-sitting. This is especially true in the subject of mandatory minimums. Certain states have mandatory sentences that judges have to hand down for certain offenses. The offender whether violent or not and regardless of what number of offense must go to jail for that mandatory minimum of time. I believe this is unfair and unjust because once that offender goes to jail they are stuck their regardless of good behavior. I don't see the sense of having an non violent offender having to serve a minimum sentence and waste tax dollars when they could be out in the world bettering themselves.
ReplyDeleteMary: You have raised very strong points in your blog. You have strong negative feelings about the criminal justice system. I look forward to viewing your future blogs. Professor Taylor
ReplyDelete